Under Michigan law, some traffic violations are civil infractions while others are misdemeanors or felonies. Depending on the violation and how it is resolved, you may be fined, referred to a special program or, in the most serious situations, sent to jail. In most cases, if you do not take care of a traffic ticket, your driver license will be suspended.
Each time you are convicted of a traffic violation, you will have to pay certain court fines and costs. In addition, points may be posted to your driver record. Under Michigan’s point system, each traffic violation has a point value, which is set by law in the Michigan Vehicle Code. Points are placed on your driver record only after you have been convicted or found guilty of or responsible for a civil infraction. Points placed on your driver record remain there for two years from the date of conviction. If you believe there are extenuating circumstances for the ticket you received, these must be submitted when you appear in court. The Secretary of State cannot set aside a court conviction or the points for it. The following shows the points for some traffic violations:
Points For Some Traffic Convictions*
- Manslaughter, negligent homicide, or other felony involving use of a motor vehicle.
- Operating under the influence of liquor or drugs.
- Failing to stop and give identification at the scene of a crash.
- Reckless driving.
- Unlawful bodily alcohol content of 0.08 or more.
- Refusal to take a chemical test.
- Fleeing or eluding a police officer.
- Drag racing.
- Operating while visibly impaired.
- Under age 21 with any bodily alcohol content.
- 16 mph or more over the legal speed limit.
- Failure to yield/show due caution for emergency vehicles.
- Careless driving.
- Disobeying a traffic signal or stop sign or improper passing.
- 11 through 15 mph over the legal speed limit.
- Failure to stop at railroad crossing.
- Failure to stop for a school bus or for disobeying a school crossing guard.
- 10 mph or less over the legal speed limit.
- Open alcohol container in vehicle.
- All other moving violations of traffic laws.
- Refusal of Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) by anyone under age 21
Fine Schedule (SAMPLE)
|Defective Equipment||(14 days to fix) or $115||0|
|Disobey Red Light||$120||3|
|Disobey Red Light – ACCIDENT||$135|
|Disobey Yellow Light||$110||3|
|Disobey Stop Sign||$115||3|
|Disobey Traffic Control Device||$115||2|
|Drove Left of Center||$115||2|
|Expired License (Misdemeanor)||$100||2|
|Failed to Drive Minimum Speed||$110||2|
|Failed to Signal||$110||2|
|Failed to Stop-Private Drive||$110||2|
|Failed to Stop-School Bus Flashers||$235||3|
|Failed to Take PBT||$195||0|
|Failed to stop w/i assured clear distance||$115||2|
|Failed to Yield||$115||2|
|Failed to Yield-Emergency Vehicle||$140||2|
|Failed to Yield-Emergency Veh - ACCIDENT||$160|
|Follow to Close||$110||2|
|Improper Display of Plates||$105||0|
|Improper Lane Use||$115||2|
|Improper Turn (Prohibited)||$115||2|
|Improper Use of Lights||$110||2|
|Moped on Highway||$125||2|
|No Child Restraint||$65||0|
|If proof of purchase shown - Dismissed by Court|
|No Cover on Load - 1st offense||$130||2|
|- 2nd offense REQUIRES COURT APPEARANCE|
|No Cycle Endorsement||$115||2|
|No Flag on Projected Load||$115||0|
|No License on Person (10 days to show)||$100||0|
|No Proof of Insurance –||$155||0|
|If proof is shown||$ 25|
|No Proof of Registration (10 days to show)||$105||0|
|No Safety Equipment||$115||0|
|No Seatbelt||$ 65||0|
|No Snow plow license -1st offense||$125||0|
|Non-Emergency Stop - Expressway||$110||0|
|Over Two Abreast||$125||2|
|Pedestrian on Expressway||$100||0|
|Private Drive to Avoid Signal||$125||2|
|Spilled Load||REQUIRES COURT APPEARANCE|
|If proof of removal provided - Dismissed by Court.|
|Vehicle Height Violation||$135||0|
|Violation of Basic Speed||$115||2|
|Violation of Truck Route||$130||0|
|Wrong Way on One-way Street||$150||2|